Bowl barrow 120m north-east of Rose Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007389.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 06:37:26.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 45275 55265
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite limited antiquarian investigation, the bowl barrow 120m north-east of Rose Farm survives reasonably well. This investigation located human remains, and further evidence of interments and grave goods will exist within the mound and upon the old landsurface beneath.
The monument is a bowl barrow located on flat land 120m north-east of Rose
Farm. It includes a flat-topped mound of red sand 32m in diameter and up to
2.5m high. Surrounding the barrow is a ditch 7m wide and 0.5m deep. Limited
antiquarian investigation of the barrow located 'articles of some sort'
including layers of bones.
A telegraph pole on the monument's southern side is excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath the telegraph pole is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Longley, D, The Victoria History of the County, (1987), 82
Watkin, W T, Roman Cheshire, (1886), 314
Ormerod, G, 'History of Cheshire' in History of Cheshire, , Vol. 2, (1882), 371
Darvill,T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Bowl Barrows, (1988)
Ref. No. SJ45NE1, Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Card, (1976)
SMR No. 1824, Cheshire SMR, Mound 260 yards North East of Rose Farm, (1988)
To Fergusson,A.J. (Cheshire FW), Previous tenant,
To SMR, Turner, R (County Archaeologist), (1987)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing