Three round barrows 800m north east of Littlewood Lodge
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007573.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 10:40:44.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- Bishop Burton
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 95646 37771
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation and plough damage these barrows remain visible and will retain archaeological information on the manner and duration of their usage. Information on the inter-relationship between individual barrows within the monument will be preserved, as will information on their relationship to adjacent barrows.
The monument includes three prehistoric round barrows, members of a group on
this area of the Yorkshire Wolds. The north-western barrow mound is 0.3m high
and 35m in diameter; the north-eastern is 0.25m high and 13m in diameter, and
the southern is 1m high and 40m in diameter. Although no longer visible at
ground level, a ditch, from which material was excavated during the
construction of the monument, surrounds each of the barrow mounds. These have
become infilled over the years but survive as buried features 4m wide. In
1876 the antiquarian Canon William Greenwell investigated two of the barrow
mounds. In the north-eastern barrow he found one cremnation and a number of
worked flints, including a saw, while the southern produced only a single
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Beverley Guardian' in Beverley Guardian, (1876), 2
'ERAST' in ERAST, , Vol. 14, (1907), 58
Greenwell, W, 'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , (1890), 37
Greenwell, W, 'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , (1890), 36 - 37
3771, Humberside SMR,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing