Moated site 160m south-west of St Michael and All Angels' Church
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007616.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2021 at 14:55:13.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stafford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 00876 21031
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Church Farm is in a good state of preservation and includes upstanding earthwork remains on the island.
The monument is situated 160m south west of St Michael and All Angels'
Church, Colwich on low lying land prone to flooding.
The moated site includes a slightly raised grass-covered island, rectangular
in plan, 85m NW-SE by 50m NE-SW. The remains of associated internal
earthworks are visible on the eastern side of the island. Access to the
interior of the moated site is by a causeway across the NE arm of the moat.
The moat measures 10m wide and is seasonally waterlogged though now partly
silted. It survives to a depth of approximately 1.5m. It is surrounded by a
tree-lined external enclosure bank up to 8m wide and 1m high. This feature is
most evident on the western edge of the site.
Excluded from the scheduling are the fence posts on the outer edge of the four
sides of the moat, and the building of corrugated-iron on the island but the
ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing