Moated site at Great Hartwell Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007621.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Jan-2021 at 07:18:44.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stafford (District Authority)
- Stafford (District Authority)
- Stone Rural
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 91753 38993
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The site at Great Hartwell Farm is a well-preserved example of a moated site and has associated documentary evidence.
The monument at Great Hartwell Farm includes the moated site and an associated
earthwork projecting from its south-eastern corner. The sub-rectangular
platform is raised and well-defined with a slight bank at the edge of the
platform. The platform is partly occupied by a modern brick-built farmhouse.
Three sides of the moat are visible; the north arm has been infilled and built
over. There is some waterlogging in the base of the moat, especially evident
at the north-west corner. The moat is approximately 10m wide and up to 3m
deep. An external bank is present on the east and south sides of the moat.
The southern outer bank is the most evident and measures 7m wide and
approximately 0.7m high. A raised bank projects beyond the south-east corner
of the moat for a distance of 8m.
The moated site was held by the Chetwynds of Kibblestone during the 1280s. A
private chapel was constructed in about 1282. By c.1370 the buildings
present at the site included a hall with chambers, a kitchen, a bakehouse, a
gatehouse with stable, a chamber by the gate, and a building outside the moat.
The surfaces of the paths and the driveway, fence posts and the modern brick
farmhouse and its associated agricultural buildings are all excluded from the
scheduling but the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Johnstone, H, The Victoria History of the County of Staffordshire, (1908), 367
Palliser, DM, The Staffordshire Landscape, (1976), 76
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing