Moated site and pond at Moor Hall Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007622.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 01-Mar-2021 at 22:42:12.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 94095 50949, SJ 94243 50943
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site and pond bay at Moor Hall Farm, Bagnall survive well and represent a fine example of a combined moat and associated water-management complex.
The monument at Moor Hall Farm includes two areas containing the moated site
and an associated pond.
The moated platform which measures approximately 55m square, projects out of
the natural hillslope and is occupied by the 18th century farmhouse and its
associated agricultural buildings. The surrounding moat has been dry since
c.1910 and three arms are visible as shallow depressions. Rising topography
and a retaining bank form the site's outer edge on the east and south sides.
The western side of the moated site is formed by a linear earthwork. This
feature, more than 150m in length and up to 2.5m high, has been breached
towards its south end. The south arm of the moat projects southwards to form
a pond. The southern and eastern sides of the pond are bounded by the rising
A second dam, 80m west of the moated site, provides evidence of a second pond.
The 18th century farmhouse and associated agricultural buildings, including a
large stone-built stable block, the farm track, paths, and fences are all
excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath these features is
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing