Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Chediston Grange survives well and will retain valuable
archaeological information concerning the construction, occupation and use of
The monument includes a moated site located 900m south-west of Chediston
village and 100m from the southern boundary of the parish. The moat, which is
water-filled and spring-fed, encloses a rectangular island with internal
dimensions of 50m north-south by 38m east-west, and there are opposed
causeways across the northern and southern arms. The moat ditches measure up
to 2m in depth and range in width from 8m on the west side to 14m on the east,
giving overall maximum dimensions of 75m north-south by 58m east-west.
Occupation of the site during the 16th century is demonstrated by finds of
pottery on the island.
A concrete and timber footbridge across the western arm of the moat is of
modern construction and is excluded from the scheduling, although timber piles
from an earlier construction, preserved below the water level, are included.
The dwelling-house, which is partly of 17th-century construction and Listed
Grade II, stands centrally on the island and is excluded from the scheduling,
together with the associated outbuildings, a concrete platform on the inner
edge of the eastern arm of the moat near the south-eastern corner, a modern
timber footbridge across the western arm of the moat (but not the timber
piles of an earlier structure which are preserved in the water beneath
it), the access track and driveway, the iron railings bordering the outer lip
of the moat on the south and east sides, the service poles at the north-
western corner of the island, all service pipes and inspection chambers, and a
pump at the south-western corner of the moat, but the ground beneath all these
buildings and features is included.
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.