Robin Hood's Butt: a bowl barrow 190m north of Ludlow golf course club house

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1007711
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1929
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Feb-1994

Map

Ordnance survey map of Robin Hood's Butt: a bowl barrow 190m north of Ludlow golf course club house
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jun-2019 at 15:20:46.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bromfield
District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stanton Lacy
National Grid Reference:
SO 48971 77877

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The bowl barrow known as Robin Hood's Butt survives in a good state of preservation, appears complete and undisturbed and is a good example of its class. Although it may have been partly excavated in 1884, it will retain archaeological deposits and environmental evidence relating to the landscape in which the monument was constructed sealed beneath the mound and in the ditch fill. It is one of several monuments of similar age which occur in the vicinity which, when considered in association, contribute considerable information relating to the land use, density of settlement, burial practices and social structure of the prehistoric community which occupied this area during the Bronze Age.

Details

The monument includes a large bowl barrow known as Robin Hood's Butt, or Butt Tump, situated at the eastern tip of a low spur formed between the River Teme to the south-west and River Corve to the north-east. The barrow is visible as a substantial, steep sided mound of sandy soil, 28m in diameter and up to 4.3m high, with a flattened summit 6.7m in diameter. Although not visible at surface level, a ditch, from which material was quarried during the construction of the monument, surrounds the mound. This has become infilled over the years but survives as a buried feature some 3m wide. The barrow is believed to have been partially excavated in 1884 by C Fortey who recorded finds of cremated human bones and a small piece of bronze spear or arrowhead 10ft below the top of the mound. Today there are no visible surface indications of this exploration, the mound appears complete and undisturbed. All modern structures and boundary features are excluded from the scheduling though the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
19120
Legacy System:
RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Fortey, C, 'TSAS' in , , Vol. VIII, (1885), 445-9

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].