Nether Hall moated site and fishpond
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007819 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 02:15:33.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 05942 58816
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Nether Hall survives reasonably well and is historically well-documented. The main island remains unencumbered by modern development and hence will retain evidence of the buildings which originally occupied it. Organic and environmental remains will be preserved in the moats and fishpond.
The monument is the moated site at Nether Hall. It includes a triangular
island enclosed within a dry moat and a fishpond which lies outside the main
moat and adjacent to its south western arm. The triangular island measures
130m long, south east to north west, and is 70m broad at its broadest point.
The moat which encloses this island ranges between 10m and 13m wide and is up
to 2m deep; it is now dry. The northern arm of the moat has been partially
reused to create a ha-ha or sunken fence. To create this the moat was
partially revetted with brick along this arm. The eastern arm of the moat is
flanked by both internal and external banks, each 1m high and 5m wide. A
fishpond, now dry, lies outside but parallel to the moat's south western arm.
It is 22m long, 5m wide and 1m deep.
Originally a second moated enclosure lay immediately to the north west of the
triangular island; only a fragment of this now survives, the remainder having
been in-filled and disturbed by building and landscaping work further north.
This second moated site is not included in the scheduling.
The site was a manor house of the Constable family who held land owned by the
Percy earls. Manorial rights were granted to Constable when the Percy lands
passed to the crown in 1537, though in 1546 Sir Marmaduke Constable returned
them to the monarch. In 1775 a plan showed the monument with two buildings on
it, though by 1850, when the 1850 Ordnance Survey map was drawn, these
buildings had either fallen down or been removed. A sewer pipe which has been
laid across the site from east to west is excluded from the scheduling
although the ground beneath it is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Yorkshire, (1974), 287
Le Patourel, H E J, Moated site of Yorkshire, (1973), 115
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing