Bewick Hall moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007848 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 00:44:07.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 23286 39426
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite cleaning and limited redigging of the moat, the moated site at Bewick Hall survives reasonably well and will retain evidence of the buildings originally located on the island.
The monument is the moated site of Bewick Hall. It includes a sub-rectangular
island surrounded by a water-filled moat.
The island enclosed by the moat is 80m long, east-west, and 30m wide. The
northern, eastern and western arms of the moat are between 10m and 12m wide,
and up to 3m deep. The southern arm of the moat is 15m wide, and is also 3m
deep. The south-east corner of the moat has been redug and enlarged and the
external edge revetted with concrete. A land drain runs into the moat at its
south-west corner. The only access to the island is afforded by a modern
The moat enclosed the house of the Lords of Bewick and was associated with the
nearby deserted village which was mentioned in the Domesday Book.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Le Patourel, H E J, Moated site of Yorkshire, (1973), 110
Poulson, G, History and Antiquities of Holderness, (1841), 24
Sheahan, , Whellan, , History and Topography of York And The East Riding, (1856), 35-37
Beresford, M, 'Yorks. Arch. Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 38, (1955), 58
CU ART 51 RC8 EV11,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing