This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Linear boundary 310m north west of the Tansley Stone on Bow Hill

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Linear boundary 310m north west of the Tansley Stone on Bow Hill

List entry Number: 1008373

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stoughton

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 04-Aug-1933

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Sep-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 24391

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Beneficial land use over the years has enabled Bow Hill and Kingley Vale to support one of the most diverse and well preserved areas of chalk downland archaeological remains in south eastern England. These remains are considered to be of particular significance because they include types of monument, dating from the prehistoric and Roman periods, more often found in Wessex and south western Britain. The well-preserved and often visible relationship between trackways, settlement sites, land boundaries, stock enclosures, flint mines, ceremonial and funerary monuments in the area gives significant insight into successive changes in the pattern of land use over time. Linear boundaries are substantial earthwork features comprising single or multiple ditches and banks which may extend over distances varying between less than 1km to over 10km. They survive as earthworks or as linear features visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs or as a combination of both. The evidence of excavation and study of associated monuments demonstrates that their construction spans the millenium from the Middle Bronze Age, although they may have been reused later. The scale of many linear boundaries has been taken to indicate that they were constructed by large social groups and were used to mark important boundaries in the landscape, their impressive scale displaying the corporate prestige of their builders. They would have been powerful symbols, often with religious associations, used to define and order the territorial holdings of those groups who constructed them. Linear earthworks are of considerable importance for the analysis of settlement and land use in the Bronze Age; all well preserved examples will normally merit statutory protection. The linear boundary on Bow Hill survives well and can be expected to retain archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed. The linear boundary is one of a series of linear earthworks partly enclosing the three limbs of the Y-shaped hilltop and The Devil's Humps round barrow cemetery, and is situated c.260m south west of, and shares the same alignment with, an associated linear boundary. These monuments are broadly contemporary and their close association will therefore provide evidence for the relationship between land division and funerary practice during the period of their construction and use.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a linear earthwork running along the slope from south west to north east below the crest of a hill of the Sussex Downs. The earthwork is a ditch 440m long, up to 10m wide and 0.5m deep flanked on the downslope side by a bank 0.5m high and up to 5m wide. The south western end of the earthwork is formed by a distinct rounded terminal, while to the north east, the boundary gradually fades into the steep hillside.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, EC, Prehistoric Sussex, (1929), 140
Curwen, E, EC, , 'Sussex Archaeological Collections' in Sussex Archaeological Collections, , Vol. 59, (1918), 49-50

National Grid Reference: SU 81986 11279

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008373 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 10:13:22.

End of official listing