Moated site and fishpond east of Misson village
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008629 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2019 at 03:31:19.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bassetlaw (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 69298 94976
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Misson survives reasonably well. Remains of the buildings which formerly existed will survive on the island. The moat and fish pond retain conditions suitable for the preservation of organic remains.
This monument, situated east of Misson, includes a trapezoidal moated site and
a single filled-in fishpond. It includes a central platform surrounded by
a 10m wide moat which varies between 1m and 2m deep. The platform is up to 1m
higher than the surrounding land. Overall, the site measures 43m along the
south-east side, 52m along the south-west side, 38m along the north-east side
and 25m along the north-west side. However, it has been disturbed on the
north-west side by a modern dyke and field boundary and would originally have
extended further. Set 3m south of the south-east arm of the moat, and offset
from its east corner by 35m, is a filled-in rectangular fishpond measuring 30m
from south-west to north-east by 7m from south-east to north-west.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Nottinghamshire: Volume I, (1906), 313
7552/17,18, National Monuments Record, NAR 7552/17,18,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing