Hayton Castle moated site and fishpond
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008630 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 10:30:12.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bassetlaw (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 73971 86715
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Hayton Castle is a well-preserved example of a medieval moat which may have been the site of a fortified manor house. Although the moat itself has suffered some disturbance, the platform survives intact and will retain the buried remains of medieval buildings and structures. The adjacent fishpond is also well preserved.
The monument includes Hayton Castle moated site and the adjacent fishpond.
The site includes a roughly square platform, measuring approximately 60m on
each side, surrounded on three sides by a 15m wide moat with an average depth
of 1m. The moat no longer survives on the remaining north side where it has
been ploughed away and recut to create a dyke. On the west side of the moat,
divided from it by a 10m wide bank, is a rectangular fishpond measuring c.12m
from east to west by 50m from north to south. Again the north end of this
feature has been truncated by the modern dyke and field boundary. Traces of
grassed-over wall footings can be seen at the south-west corner of the island.
The existence of this wall may account for the name Hayton Castle which
indicates that, in the medieval period, the site was fortified, probably by a
crenellated wall. The site is understood to have belonged to the de Hayton
All the modern fencing, the surface of the farm track along the east side
of the monument and the trail sign and leaflet box at the entrance onto the
platform are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath these
features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
MacKenzie, D, Castles of England, (1897), 449
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing