This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site, fishpond and enclosure at Bordeaux Farms

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site, fishpond and enclosure at Bordeaux Farms

List entry Number: 1008700

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Littlebury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 26-Feb-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20690

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Bordeaux Farms represents a complex type of moated site with an associated enclosure. It remains essentially undisturbed and as such will retain archaeological information relating to the occupation and development of the site, while the ditches will contain environmental evidence pertaining to the economy of the site and the contemporary landscape in which it is located.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a rectangular moated site with a fishpond and an associated enclosure situated on the floodplain of the River Cam, 600m west of Little Chesterford church. The moated site measures 56m SW-NE by 60m SE-NW and has arms which average 14m in width by 1.6m in depth. The northern arm remains waterlogged. A causeway 5m wide gives access to the island at its southern corner. 10m east, and on the same alignment as the moat, is an associated enclosure which measures 84m north-south by 62m east-west with ditches between 5m and 7.5m in width and a maximum of 0.5m in depth. The ditch forming the south-western side of the enclosure is extended approximately 20m south-eastwards, beyond its junction with the ditch forming the south-eastern side. Joining the northern arm of the moat and connected by a small channel is a fishpond, no longer waterfilled, which measures 30m east- west by 25m north-south and is about 1.6m deep. Further ditches adjacent to the site to the north and south represent later drainage ditches. The area was once used for the cultivation of watercress. The name Bordeaux is mentioned in 1307 and is considered to be connected with the family of Walter de Burdeaus.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)

National Grid Reference: TL 50912 41774

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008700 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 07:56:37.

End of official listing