Standing cross known as Wheston Cross


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1009050

Date first listed: 10-Aug-1923

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Nov-1994


Ordnance survey map of Standing cross known as Wheston Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 19:10:18.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)

Parish: Wheston

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SK 13194 76438


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

A standing cross is a free standing upright structure, usually of stone, mostly erected during the medieval period (mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD). Standing crosses served a variety of functions. In churchyards they served as stations for outdoor processions, particularly in the observance of Palm Sunday. Elsewhere, standing crosses were used within settlements as places for preaching, public proclamation and penance, as well as defining rights of sanctuary. Standing crosses were also employed to mark boundaries between parishes, property, or settlements. A few crosses were erected to commemorate battles. Some crosses were linked to particular saints, whose support and protection their presence would have helped to invoke. Crosses in market places may have helped to validate transactions. After the Reformation, some crosses continued in use as foci for municipal or borough ceremonies, for example as places for official proclamations and announcements; some were the scenes of games or recreational activity. Standing crosses were distributed throughout England and are thought to have numbered in excess of 12,000. However, their survival since the Reformation has been variable, being much affected by local conditions, attitudes and religious sentiment. In particular, many cross-heads were destroyed by iconoclasts during the 16th and 17th centuries. Less than 2,000 medieval standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist. The oldest and most basic form of standing cross is the monolith, a stone shaft often set directly in the ground without a base. The most common form is the stepped cross, in which the shaft is set in a socket stone and raised upon a flight of steps; this type of cross remained current from the 11th to 12th centuries until after the Reformation. Where the cross-head survives it may take a variety of forms, from a lantern-like structure to a crucifix; the more elaborate examples date from the 15th century. Much less common than stepped crosses are spire-shaped crosses, often composed of three or four receding stages with elaborate architectural decoration and/or sculptured figures; the most famous of these include the Eleanor crosses, erected by Edward I at the stopping places of the funeral cortege of his wife, who died in 1290. Also uncommon are the preaching crosses which were built in public places from the 13th century, typically in the cemeteries of religious communities and cathedrals, market places and wide thoroughfares; they include a stepped base, buttresses supporting a vaulted canopy, in turn carrying either a shaft and head or a pinnacled spire. Standing crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval customs, both secular and religious, and to our knowledge of medieval parishes and settlement patterns. All crosses which survive as standing monuments, especially those which stand in or near their original location, are considered worthy of protection.

Wheston Cross is a very well preserved and beautiful example of a simple standing cross with a decorated cross-head which, although possibly not in situ, stands close to its original location.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument is a standing cross of probable 14th or 15th century date reputed originally to have stood at the T-junction in the centre of Wheston village. It is made of sandstone and comprises two steps of mortared blocks which are set beneath a socle or socket-stone surmounted by a cross-shaft which is in turn crowned by an ornate carved cross-head.

The base step is c.2m square. The socle, which is 0.5m tall and 90cm square at the base, is a slightly tapering octagonal block with pyramidal stops on alternate faces. The shaft is in two sections and is of tapering square section with chamfered edges. The cusped and decorated cross-head, which appears to be complete, incorporates on its west face a figure of the Virgin and Child with a star over the Virgin's head and sunbursts at the ends of the cross-arms. The cross-arms terminate in decorative mouldings. On the east face is the torso of Christ crucified incorporating much physical detail but deliberately lacking facial features. The overall height of the cross is c.3m with the shaft and cross-head accounting for c.2m. The cross, which was reputedly moved to its current location in the 17th century, has been repaired at some point and is also a Grade II* Listed feature. Inscribed on the top step on the east side is the graffito DJ 1811 or, possibly, DJB 1811. It is one of two medieval crosses which stood in or near Wheston, the other being located near Crossgate Farm on the road to Tideswell.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 23349

Legacy System: RSM


Books and journals
Dodd, A E, Dodd, E M, Peakland Roads and Trackways, (1974), 65
Rimmer, A, Ancient Stone Crosses, (1875), 132-3

End of official listing