This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Old Hall moat and two fishponds

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Old Hall moat and two fishponds

List entry Number: 1009153

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Norwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Apr-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Feb-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13390

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Old Hall moat is a good example of a small homestead moat with adjacent fishponds. Unusually for this part of the country, the moat is wet and will contain well-preserved organic material such as wood, leather and plant remains. Building remains from the medieval and post-medieval periods will survive on the island which has suffered only minimal disturbance since it was abandoned.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes Old Hall moat and two fishponds. The moat includes a rectangular island measuring 50m from north to south and 30m east to west. It is enclosed by a water-filled ditch varying between 3m and 4m deep and c.12m wide. On the west side a 10m wide causeway crosses the moat to the island and represents the original entrance. Off the south-east corner of the moat are two rectangular fishponds, the first measuring 20m by 10m and the other roughly 30m by 10m. Both are now filled-in but will formerly have been joined to the moat and each other by sluices. Records indicate that a third fishpond and a dovecote lay to the west of the moat, but the extent and state of survival of these is not sufficiently understood for them to be included in the scheduling. The monument is understood to be one of the moated manors of the three prebends of Norwell noted under Palishall and may also have been the site of a minor siege during the Civil War of the 1640s. The field boundaries which follow the north and eastern edges of the monument and cross the easternmost fishpond are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Nottinghamshire: Volume I, (1906), 310

National Grid Reference: SK7759361664

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 06:48:55.

End of official listing