Castle Hill fortified manor


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1009298

Date first listed: 13-Apr-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1992


Ordnance survey map of Castle Hill fortified manor
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009298 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 14:28:13.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Ashfield (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 49031 55773


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Fortified manors are the residences of the lesser nobility and the richer burgesses and date from the late twelfth century and throughout the rest of the Middle Ages. Generally they comprise a hall and residential wing, domestic ranges, and fortifications such as a moat or,crenellated wall or both. Although the fortified manor at Castle Hill has been robbed of its stone and partially disturbed by ploughing, the remains are nevertheless reasonably well preserved. In addition to the tower and perimeter wall, the buried remains of fourteenth and fifteenth century domestic and ancillary buildings will be retained on the platform.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument includes the remains of a fourteenth century fortified manor house which records suggest was built either by Robert de Stuteville or John Darcy. It includes a levelled rectangular platform situated south of the parish church of St Wilfred and measures 60m from north to south by 50m east to west. The platform is steeply scarped on the east side where it drops from c.7m high at the north end to c.4m high at the south end. Here the scarp turns in a right-angle westward and extends along the south side of the platform for c.10m before levelling out. At the south-west corner there is a sub-circular mound with a diameter of 16m from north to south by 13m from east to west. It is flat-topped and stands 2.5m high and represents the remains of a tower built into the perimeter wall of the manor. The base of this wall can be seen extending northwards from the mound as a low bank along the west side of the platform. It would also have extended along the north side, where it has been replaced by the existing wall of the churchyard, and along the east side where it surmounted the edge of the scarp. It is not yet clear whether it extended beyond the end of the scarp on the south side since this area has been disturbed by ploughing. Another possibility is that the gate into the fortified manor stood next to the tower on this side. The entire wall would have been crenellated which is the reason why the monument is inaccurately termed a castle. It is not yet known when the site was abandoned but it was still in use in 1466 when it passed by marriage from the Darcy family to the Conyers.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 13397

Legacy System: RSM


Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Nottinghamshire: Volume I, (1906), 303
'Transactions of the Thoroton Society' in Transactions of the Thoroton Society: Volume 1, 1897, , Vol. 1, (1897), 72-3

End of official listing