The Crump: a ringwork 600m south of Berden

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1009308

Date first listed: 22-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Aug-1992

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Crump:  a ringwork 600m south of Berden
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 03:01:36.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Berden

National Grid Reference: TL 47002 28955

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Ringworks are medieval fortifications built and occupied from the late Anglo-Saxon period to the later 12th century. They comprised a small defended area containing buildings which was surrounded or partly surrounded by a substantial ditch and a bank surmounted by a timber palisade or, rarely, a stone wall. Occasionally a more lightly defended embanked enclosure, the bailey, adjoined the ringwork. Ringworks acted as strongholds for military operations and in some cases as defended aristocratic or manorial settlements. They are rare nationally with only 200 recorded examples and less than 60 with baileys. As such, and as one of a limited number and very restricted range of Anglo-Saxon and Norman fortifications, ringworks are of particular significance to our understanding of the period.

Despite limited excavation, The Crump ringwork is well preserved and will retain archaeological information pertaining to the occupation of the site and environmental evidence relating both to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument comprises a ringwork known as The Crump and is situated on an east-facing slope overlooking the River Stort. The monument includes a raised area of ground which measures 32m in diameter at the base and stands c.3m high. The top of the raised area is saucer-shaped and is 10m in diameter and c.1m deep. This may be due to partial excavation or possibly subsidence of this area. Surrounding the raised area is a moat which has a maximum width of 12m and is about 1.5m deep. The western half of the moat remains waterfilled, while the eastern half has become silted up over the years. In 1958 the owner excavated a small trench in the interior of the mound. A clay floor and a packed post hole were found along with some 12th century pottery and metal fragments.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20665

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Other
SMR No: 122, Information from SMR (No 122),

End of official listing