Round barrow south-east of Cot Nab Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1009386

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Aug-1992

Map

Ordnance survey map of Round barrow south-east of Cot Nab Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009386 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:04:01.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bishop Wilton

National Grid Reference: SE 82382 56532

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite limited plough damage and partial excavation this barrow survives relatively well and will retain significant archaeological remains, including further burial evidence. It is a member of a wider group of barrows, which together will provide evidence of a range of burial practices.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow located on a slight natural rise. It is one of a large group of dispersed barrows lying along the ridge of the Wolds above Bishop Wilton. The barrow mound is fifteen metres in diameter and one metre high and is of earthen construction. Air photography has confirmed that the barrow is surrounded by a ditch but this is not visible as an earthwork feature. The mound was twice opened by J R Mortimer, once in 1864 and again in 1892, during which a number of burials were discovered along with flints and pottery fragments.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 21057

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 167-168
Other
715, Humberside County Council SMR (715), (1980)

End of official listing