Stone alignment, 900m south-west of Holystone Grange

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1009448

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1932

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jan-1994

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stone alignment, 900m south-west of Holystone Grange
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009448 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 09:42:59.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Harbottle

National Park: NORTHUMBERLAND

National Grid Reference: NT 95740 00102

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Stone alignments or stone rows consist of upright stones set in a single line, or in two or more parallel lines, up to several hundred metres in length. They are often sited close to prehistoric burial monuments, such as small cairns and cists, and to ritual monuments, such as stone circles, and are therefore considered to have had an important ceremonial function. Stone alignments were being constructed and used from the Late Neolithic period to the Middle Bronze Age (c.2500-1000 BC) and provide rare evidence of ceremonial and ritual practices during these periods. Due to their rarity and longevity as a monument type, all examples that are not extensively damaged will be considered worthy of protection.

The stone alignment near Holystone Grange is very well preserved and is a fine example of a prehistoric stone monument. It is the only surviving example in the county and will contribute to any study of prehistoric settlement and activity in Northumberland.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is a stone alignment, known locally as The Five Kings, situated on south-east sloping moorland, beneath a craggy outcrop. The alignment includes four substantial stones situated in a slight arc from south-west to north-east. The stones are located 4m, 7m and 6m apart and are 2m, 1.3m, 1.6m and 2.2m high. A fifth stone which completed the alignment was situated 7m beyond the fourth but was removed earlier this century; the site of this stone is also included in the scheduling. Local tradition says that the five stones represent five brothers who owned adjacent areas of land.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20954

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Dixon, D D, Upper Coquetdale, (1903), 122-123
Tomlinson, W W, Comprehensive Guide to Northumberland, (1916), 344
Other
NT 90 SE 03,

End of official listing