Bowl barrow on Barrow Hill, Hungerford Newtown
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1009457
Date first listed: 07-Dec-1992
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009457 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 14:34:16.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 35517 71940
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.
The monument includes a large bowl barrow situated in a small copse towards
the south end of a small spur. The barrow survives as a well defined mound
30m in diameter and up to 2.6m high. It has a rounded profile, is of a chalk
rubble construction and appears undisturbed. The western edge of the mound is
overlain by the modern boundary hedge of the copse and is plough spread in the
field to the west. There are no surface indications of the surrounding ditch,
from which the material for the mound would have been quarried. This has
become infilled over the years but is believed to survive as a buried feature
c.2m wide. The name Barrow Hill, applying to the copse or hilltop, is
recorded as early as 1677.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 19028
Legacy System: RSM
SMR No 2622.00, SMR No. 2622.00,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing