This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Hut circle settlement 975m NE of Trewortha Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Hut circle settlement 975m NE of Trewortha Farm

List entry Number: 1009806

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: North Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 05-Jun-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 15119

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bodmin Moor, the largest of the Cornish granite uplands, has long been recognised to have exceptional preservation of archaeological remains. The Moor has been the subject of detailed archaeological survey and is one of the best recorded upland landscapes in England. The extensive relict landscapes of prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval date provide direct evidence for human exploitation of the Moor from the earliest prehistoric period onwards. The well-preserved and often visible relationship between settlement sites, field systems, ceremonial and funerary monuments as well as later industrial remains provides significant insights into successive changes in the pattern of land use through time. Stone hut circles were the dwelling places of prehistoric farmers on the Moor, mostly dating from the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). The stone-based round houses survive as low walls or banks enclosing a circular floor area; remains of a turf or thatch roof are not preserved. The huts occur singly or in small or large groups and may occur in the open or be enclosed by a bank of earth and stone. Although they are common on the Moor, their longevity of use and their relationship with other monument types provides important information on the diversity of social organisation and farming practices among prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

This hut circle settlement in the Withey Brook valley has survived well and displays several unusual features, notably the levelled annexe and the partial enclosure of the settlement clearly omitting one of its hut circles. The settlement is a rare survival in a valley floor location and its proximity to another group of similarly-placed hut circles demonstrates well the nature of settlement in this topographical position during the Bronze Age.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a small, partly-enclosed hut circle settlement situated near another discrete group of hut circles at the southern edge of the Withey Brook valley floor, north of Trewortha Tor on eastern Bodmin Moor. The settlement contains four stone hut circles, surviving with circular walls of heaped rubble, up to 1.5m wide and 0.75m high, around levelled internal areas ranging from 6m to 12m in diameter. All show edge-set inner facing slabs and two also have outer facing slabs. Entrance gaps survive in three hut circles, variously facing SW, east and NW. The three smaller hut circles are arranged as a triangular cluster, spaced 2.5-3m apart and closely contained within a curvilinear enclosure wall of heaped rubble, up to 1.5m wide and 0.5m high. This enclosure encompasses 0.06 hectares. Its northern side is interrupted by a small rectangular annexe built against the northern side of the NW hut circle in the cluster. The annexe is similarly rubble walled and measures 12.5m NE-SW by 11m NW-SE internally, encompassing 0.014 hectares which is also levelled. It has an entrance gap at its southern corner, adjacent to the NW entrance of the adjoining hut circle and to a break in the enclosure wall. The fourth, and largest, hut circle stands unenclosed, situated NW of the enclosure containing the other three and separated by a gap of 14m from the enclosure wall.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
9/1991, Carter, A./RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcription for SX 2476 (Consulted 9/1991),
Consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entries for PRN 1078.01, .02, .03, & .04,
Consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1078.02,
Consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1078.05, .06, & .07,

National Grid Reference: SX 24541 76178

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009806 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 09:17:57.

End of official listing