Moated site, enclosure and trackway at Claybrooke Parva
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1010191
Date first listed: 04-Jun-1992
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010191 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 11:35:11.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Harborough (District Authority)
Parish: Claybrooke Parva
National Grid Reference: SP 49476 87902
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Much of the moated site at Claybrooke Parva survives well. The moat island will retain information on the buildings which formerly occupied it whilst the waterlogged moat will retain environmental material. Unusually this site has a large attached enclosure linked to the moat by a trackway.
The site at Claybrooke Parva is situated 50m west of the church and includes a
moated site with adjoining enclosure and trackway.
Three sides of a square moated area measuring approximately 60m x 60m can be identified at the eastern end of the monument. The northern and western arms of the moat remain water-filled and 12m wide. The western arm extends northwards for a few metres beyond the corner. The eastern arm is almost completely infilled but was of the same width. In the south-east and south-western corners are causewayed entrances damming the flow of water in the moat. Adjoining this, on the south side, is a trackway, now disused, which runs east-west for 150m and adjoins roads at either end. To the west of the moat is a rectangular embanked enclosure measuring 90m x 60m, the banks of which are 6m wide and 0.5m high. The enclosure is bounded by a road on the north and west sides.
The moated site and trackway are included in a conservation area.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 17049
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume I, (1907), 263
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing