Moated site in Mapperley Park Wood
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1010504
Date first listed: 08-Jan-1953
Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jun-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010504 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 00:19:23.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Amber Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SK 43342 42533
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Although up to half the moated site in Mapperley Park Wood is concealed beneath a railway embankment, it is a good example of a small homestead moat whose earthworks survive well and in which the buried remains of buildings and other structures will be well preserved beneath the embankment.
The monument is a moated site comprising a roughly square platform surrounded
by a 12m wide moat with an average depth of c.2m. The platform, half of which
is buried beneath a railway embankment, is c.45m square and includes a bank
around its visible edge which would have been the site of a wall or palisade.
A substantial outer bank encloses the moat and incorporates a 15m wide breach
on the south side corresponding with a former bridging point across the moat.
The precise history of the site is unknown but documentary evidence indicates
that it was inhabited in c.1330.
The railway embankment and all modern fencing are excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground underneath is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 23305
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Quo Warranto Roll 1330/1
Craven, D. and Drage, C., Moated Sites List, 1982, SMR
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing