Stocking Lane moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010743 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 04:40:39.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 31204 08337
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Stocking Lane is a good example of a Hertfordshire moat which forms part of the manorial garden. It is essentially undisturbed and also retains potential for the recovery of organic remains in the waterlogged ditches.
Stocking Lane is a rectangular shaped moat, situated east of Bayford Village
at the foot of the garden of the Manor House. It is orientated north-east -
south-west and measures c.60m long by c.45m wide. The arms vary from c.8m to
c.13m in width. The north-west arm, which is partly infilled, has been
cleared in recent years. There is no evidence of a causeway. A small wooden
footbridge is situated on the north-west arm for access to the island. On the
north-east and south-east arms there is an external bank measuring between 5m
and 8m in width and c.0.5m in height. The island is thought to have been used
as a garden or orchard. The modern footbridge is excluded from the
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
SMR No: 070250, Information from SMR,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing