Moated site, Goodfellows.

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1010751

Date first listed: 21-Jan-1992

Map

Ordnance survey map of Moated site, Goodfellows.
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010751 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 12:49:11.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Reed

National Grid Reference: TL 36057 36065

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Goodfellows is relatively well preserved and its significance is increased by the fact that it is one of an unusual concentration of six recorded moats in the village of Reed.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Goodfellows moated site is the most northerly of the Reed group of 6 moats, lying on the west side of Church Lane. The sub-rectangular moat covers an area of approximately 52m north-south by 80m east-west. Three of the four arms are identifiable and enclose an island area on which is located Goodfellows Farm; the farm buildings are believed to cover the eastern arm of the moat. The southern and western arms of the moat are heavily silted and are represented by elongate depressions about 3m wide and 0.5m deep. The northern arm survives in the form of two adjacent fishponds measuring 27m by 20m and 10m by 22m respectively. The larger of the two lies next to the main road. Excluded from the scheduling are the house and the farm buildings. The ground beneath these buildings is, however, included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20605

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Other
SMR No: 070250, Information from SMR,

End of official listing