This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Roman camp and section of Roman road 700m south east of Field Head Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Roman camp and section of Roman road 700m south east of Field Head Farm

List entry Number: 1010825

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hutton

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 05-Feb-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jan-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 23753

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Roman camps are rectangular or sub-rectangular enclosures which were constructed and used by Roman soldiers either when out on campaign or as practice camps; most campaign camps were only temporary overnight bases and few were used for longer periods. They were bounded by a single earthen rampart and outer ditch and in plan are always straight-sided with rounded corners. Normally they have between one and four entrances, although as many as eleven have been recorded. Such entrances were usually centrally placed in the sides of the camp and were often protected by additional defensive outworks. Roman camps are found throughout much of England, although most known examples lie in the midlands and north. Around 140 examples have been identified and, as one of the various types of defensive enclosure built by the Roman Army, particularly in hostile upland and frontier areas, they provide an important insight into Roman military strategy and organisation. All well-preserved examples are identified as being of national importance.

Despite being crossed by ridge and furrow ploughing, the Roman camp and Roman road 700m south east of Field Head Farm survive reasonaby well, the camp's defensive earthworks in particular remaining well preserved. It is one of a group of sites in the immediate vicinity, the others being a fort and two further camps, each of which display marked differences in plan, numbers of gateways, size and subsequent troop disposition. The monument will contribute to any study of Roman military campaigning in northern England.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a Roman camp and a length of Roman road located on high ground at the head of the wide valley of the River Glenderamackin and the Trout Beck, from where it commands extensive views westwards towards Keswick, northwards through the Caldew valley, and southwards over Matterdale and Threlkeld commons. The camp is a parallelogram in plan with rounded corners and measures approximately 78m and 80m internally along its north and south sides, by 79m and 78m internally along its east and west sides. It has defences consisting of a rampart, ditch and outer bank, with entrances on the south and west sides. Limited excavation across the defences on the camp's south side in 1955 found the rampart to measure 3m-4.5m wide and up to 0.6m high. It was formed of turves and cobbles. The ditch was found to measure 2.7m wide by 1.4m deep. A berm up to 0.3m wide separates the rampart from the ditch. The outer bank is formed from the material cast up from the ditch and measures up to 6m wide by 0.3m high. The two entrances are each defended by internal and external claviculae: a clavicula is a curving continuation of the rampart and ditch which partially obstructs access through the entrance. The Roman road connecting Troutbeck Roman fort with the fort at Old Penrith, known to the Romans as Voreda, passes the camp's south side and can be seen as a raised agger or mound approximately 10m wide with faint traces of side ditches. A thin gravel spread beyond the camp's ditch was found during the 1955 excavation and is considered to represent a path connecting the gateway of the camp with the road.

The camp is thought to date to the late first century AD during the period when the Roman army was consolidating its position in northern England and in particular turning its attention to the policing of the Lake District and its indigenous population.

All field boundaries and gateposts are excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bellhouse, R L, 'Trans Cumb and West Antiq and Arch Soc. New Ser.' in The Roman Temporary Camps Near Troutbeck, Cumberland, , Vol. LVI, (1957), 28-36
Collingwood, R G, 'Trans Cumb & West Antiq & Arch Soc. New Ser.' in The Hill Fort on Carrock Fell, , Vol. XXXVIII, (1938), 32-41
Shotter, D C A, 'Roman North-West England' in Roman North-West England, (1984), 21
St Joseph, J K, 'Journal of Roman Studies' in Aerial Reconniassance in Britain, 1951-55, , Vol. 45, (1955), 83-4

National Grid Reference: NY 38421 27305

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010825 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:08:58.

End of official listing