Little London moated site and surrounding earthwork enclosures, Kings Langley
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1010911
Date first listed: 01-Apr-1975
Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1991
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010911 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2019 at 10:53:17.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish: Kings Langley
National Grid Reference: TL 07663 01786
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
This monument exhibits good earthwork survival both of the moat and its surrounding enclosures. It has a special significance through its connection with the Royal Palace of King's Langley.
The monument includes a sub-rectangular moated site and a series of
outer enclosures. The moat is aligned east-west and has maximum external
dimensions of 120m. east-west and 60m. north-south. The moat island
contains a slight mound and hollow on the western side and there is a
causeway on the same side. The moat is approximately 12m. wide and 1.5m
deep and is dry except for the southern arm which is slightly marshy.
The eastern arm of the moat has been filled in. The internal mound and
hollow appear to mark the position of an earlier lodge belonging to the
Royal Park of the King's Langley Estate and dating to the 14th century.
There are no other standing structures in the moat today. The outer
enclosures appear as low earthworks mainly to the north of the moat, and
may be the remains of ancillary buildings or horticultural earthworks
contemporary with the moat.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 11516
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Cal. Pat., 1307-13453
The Victoria History of the County of Hertfordshire: Volume II, (1908), 120
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing