Moated site in Reynold's Orchard
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1011051
Date first listed: 11-Nov-1993
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011051 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 15:11:54.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Stafford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 76816 33391
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site in Reynold's Orchard survives well and is unencumbered by modern development. Organic material will be preserved within the waterlogged sections of the moat and the moated island will retain considerable archaeological evidence for the buildings which originally occupied it.
The monument includes a moated site situated in Reynold's Orchard, 360m
south-east of St Peter's Church, Eccleshall.
The moated site includes a slightly raised island which measures 30m NE-SW by
16m NW-SE. The surface of the island is uneven. The four arms of the moat are
visible on the ground surface. The north-western and south-eastern arms are
partly waterlogged and are approximately 10m wide. The south-western and
north-eastern arms are partly infilled with vegetation and measure up to 5m
There is a slight rise in the ground surface parallel to the south-western
edge of the moat. This is considered to be the remains of an external bank.
There is a slight break in the external bank at the southern corner of the
moat and it represents the location of the moat's outlet channel. The moat
ditch projects a further 8m west beyond the edge of the moated site at its
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 21514
Legacy System: RSM
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing