Moated site at Hoo Green, 290m north west of Godwin's Place
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011329 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 16:22:57.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 25588 58450
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site known as Podd's Acre survives well and is unencumbered by modern building. It will retain important archaeological information, including evidence concerning its former use which will be contained in deposits on the island and in the ditch silts. The monument is close to the historically documented manorial site of Godwin's Place, also moated, and the relationship between the two will be of particular interest.
The monument includes a moated site, known locally as Podd's Acre, sited on
level ground approximately 1km south of the River Deben. It survives as a
quadrangular island measuring approximately 76m north - south by 64m east -
west, surrounded by a ditch between 7m and 9m wide and approximately 1.2m
deep. A broad, dished causeway crosses the eastern arm. A slight mound in
the north east corner of the island marks the site of two small cottages of
clay-lump construction which stood unoccupied from the 1930s and collapsed
into the adjacent ditch after the roof was removed in the 1950s. The interior
surface is raised up to 0.4m above the level of the external ground surface.
The moat, which was filled by surface water from ditches to the south, is
silted but damp at the bottom and parts are seasonally flooded. A broad drain
leads northward from an outlet at the north east corner.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Fane, A W, (1992)
J R L, NAR TM25NE2, (1973)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing