Roman camp, 250m north-west of Silloans
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011391 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:42:08.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
- National Park:
- National Grid Reference:
- NT 82232 00706
Reasons for Designation
Roman camps are rectangular or sub-rectangular enclosures which were
constructed and used by Roman soldiers either when out on campaign or as
practice camps; most campaign camps were only temporary overnight bases and
few were used for longer periods. They were bounded by a single earthen
rampart and outer ditch and in plan are always straight-sided with rounded
corners. Normally they have between one and four entrances, although as many
as eleven have been recorded. Such entrances were usually centrally placed in
the sides of the camp and were often protected by additional defensive
outworks. Roman camps are found throughout much of England, although most
known examples lie in the midlands and north. Around 140 examples have been
identified and, as one of the various types of defensive enclosure built by
the Roman Army, particularly in hostile upland and frontier areas, they
provide an important insight into Roman military strategy and organisation.
All well-preserved examples are identified as being of national importance.
Despite some damage by later works, the Roman temporary camp at Silloans is well preserved and is a good example of its type. It is one of the largest and earliest of a network of camps in Redesdale associated with Dere Street and the fort of High Rochester and will contribute to our understanding of the Roman occupation of northern Britain.
The monument includes a Roman temporary camp situated on a gentle south-east
facing slope. Dere Street, the Roman road from Corbridge to Newstead in
Scotland, bisects the camp and passes through its northern and southern
gateways. The camp is rectangular in shape with rounded corners and measures a
maximum of 520m north-south by 370m east-west within an earth and stone bank
3.5m wide and 0.5m high. There is an external ditch 4m wide on all sides
although it cannot now be traced for much of the east side. Gateways are
located in each of the four sides although that on the west is not now
visible. The eastern and western gateways are protected externally by a
detached length of rampart and ditch known as a traverse, placed across it at
a distance and blocking the direct line of access into the camp. There are no
features visible on the ground within the camp but traces of occupation will
be preserved beneath ground level. The camp is earlier than Dere Street and
therefore dates from the Roman occupation of Britain in the first century AD.
It is large enough to have been used on a temporary basis by an expeditionary
force to Scotland. The metalled road which bisects the camp from north to
south, the road to Silloans Farm, the tarmac turning area at the northern end
of the camp, the base of the barrier and all fences which are situated within
the area of the camp are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath
all of these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Richmond, I A, 'Northumberland County History xv' in The Romans in Redesdale, (1940), 118-125
Richmond, I A, St Joseph, K, 'Proc Soc Antiq Ncle ser 4 9 1939-41' in Proc Soc Antiq Ncle ser 4 9 1939-41, (1941), 110-113
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing