Round cairn, 460m east of Edge House
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1011420
Date first listed: 25-Feb-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011420 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Feb-2019 at 06:58:24.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: NY 93238 73156
Reasons for Designation
Round cairns are prehistoric funerary monuments dating to the Bronze Age
(c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as stone mounds covering single or
multiple burials. These burials may be placed within the mound in stone-lined
compartments called cists. In some cases the cairn was surrounded by a ditch.
Often occupying prominent locations, cairns are a major visual element in the
modern landscape. They are a relatively common feature of the uplands and are
the stone equivalent of the earthen round barrows of the lowlands. Their
considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provide
important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisation
amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of
their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered
worthy of protection.
Although the cairn has been subject to partial exavation in the past, the extent of disturbance is limited and archaeological deposits survive well. Evidence of the manner of construction and the nature and duration of use will be preserved within and beneath the mound. It is a rare survival in this part of Northumberland where few other round cairns are known.
The monument includes a cairn of Bronze Age date situated in the centre of a
cultivated field. It measures 12m in diameter and survives to a height of 1.2m
high. The mound is hollowed in the centre, the result of partial excavation in
1866 in which a central stone coffin containing the remains of a burial and a
flint, and two secondary cremations, one of the latter in a Bronze Age pot,
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 20925
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
'Proc Soc Antiq Ncle 2 ser 4 1889-90' in Proc Soc Antiq Ncle 2 ser 4 1889-90, (1889), 11-112
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing