This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and two fishponds at Moat Wood

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and two fishponds at Moat Wood

List entry Number: 1011439

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Hallam

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 29-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Mar-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 23302

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site in Moat Wood is a well preserved example of a substantial manorial moat with associated fishponds. Although somewhat disturbed by scrub, the monument retains the buried remains of buildings and other features throughout and well preserved organic and environmental remains will survive in the waterlogged deposits of the moat and two fishponds.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated site and two fishponds. The moated site comprises a roughly 50m square island surrounded by a waterlogged moat measuring between 10m and 15m wide and up to 3m deep. The island is partially enclosed by a substantial bank on the south and east sides, measuring up to 2m high and interpreted as the site of a wall or palisade. Platforms in the western half of the island indicate the sites of buildings while, at the south-east corner, there is a level area interpreted as a courtyard. A channel leading north from this courtyard opens, at the north-east corner of the island, into a filled-in fishpond measuring 9m from north to south by 5m from east to west. A sluice leads from the north-west corner of the pond into the north arm of the moat. The channel entering the pond at its south-west corner indicates the position of a drain. On the north side, the moat is divided from Stanley Brook by a substantial outer bank. However there is an outflow channel linking the moat and the brook at the north-east corner of the former. The moat is fed by a spring to the south, the water entering via a large embanked fishpond which is now largely silted up and measures c.45m from east to west by 20m from north to south. The earthworks around the fishpond extend into outer banks which follow the south and east sides of the moat. Access onto the island was via a 7m wide causeway across the east arm of the moat.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cox, J C, The Churches of Derbyshire, (1879)

National Grid Reference: SK 43868 40518

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011439 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 09:48:39.

End of official listing