Southern round cairn on north end of The Tongue, Troutbeck Park
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011593 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 11:21:15.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Lakeland (District Authority)
- National Park:
- LAKE DISTRICT
- National Grid Reference:
- NY 42478 07622
Reasons for Designation
Round cairns are prehistoric funerary monuments dating to the Bronze Age
(c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as stone mounds covering single or
multiple burials. These burials may be placed within the mound in stone-lined
compartments called cists. In some cases the cairn was surrounded by a ditch.
Often occupying prominent locations, cairns are a major visual element in the
modern landscape. They are a relatively common feature of the uplands and are
the stone equivalent of the earthen round barrows of the lowlands. Their
considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provide
important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisation
amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of
their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered
worthy of protection.
Despite some disturbance to the cist and partial mutilation of the monument by the construction of two shelters on its northern edge, this cairn survives reasonably well. It will contain further evidence of interments within the cairn and upon the old landsurface beneath.
The monument is a round cairn located on a ridge at the northern end of The
Tongue between the valleys of Trout Beck and Hagg Gill. It includes a
mutilated oval mound of stones up to 0.5m high with maximum dimensions of 14m
by 10m. Close to the cairn's centre is an upright stone which is the eastern
end of a stone-filled cist. A second large stone from the cist has been
displaced and lies nearby on the surface of the cairn. Two shelters have been
built on the northern edge of the mound using stones from the cairn and
incorporating other large stones from the cist, including what appears to be a
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Darvill,T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Bowl Barrows, (1988)
RCHME, Westmorland, (1936)
SMR No. 1926, Cumbria SMR, Two Cairns on N. End of The Tongue, Troutbeck Park, (1985)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing