Chiswick Hall moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011628 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 20:32:56.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Uttlesford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 45018 37553
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Chiswick Hall moated site is well preserved and is associated with a Grade II Listed house. The monument will retain archaeological information relating to the occupation of the site and environmental evidence pertaining to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.
The monument includes a moated site, orientated north east-south west, and two
fishponds situated on the crest of a hill 500m south of Chrishall. The moated
site is rectangular, 50m north east-south west by 45m north west-south east,
with arms between 9m and 7m in width and approximately 1.5m in depth. The
south west corner of the moat has been infilled. The moat has recently dried
out in all but the north eastern arm. A concrete bridge on the north western
arm was built in 1943 and the footings of a brick built bridge are visible
across the south eastern arm. On the island is situated a 17th century house,
which is Listed Grade II, and a small outhouse. A waterpipe which supplies the
house crosses the south western arm near the northern corner of the moat. A
waterfilled fishpond lies 5m to the south of the moated site. The fishpond
which has been partly infilled, measures 22.5m north west-south east by 17m
north east-south west. Another fishpond was once situated at the northern
corner of the moat. It is now infilled but can be identified as a marshy area
17.5m north-south by 10m east-west.
The house, outhouse, swimming pool, paths, bridge, bridge footings and
waterpipe are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath these
features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
SMR No: 3885, Information from SMR (No 3885),
TL 43 NW 5, Information from National Archaeological Record TL 43 NW 5,
TL 63 NW, Information from National Archaeological Record (TL 63 NW),
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing