Marmion Tower (former gatehouse of Tanfield Castle fortified manor)
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011669 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2019 at 14:34:36.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Hambleton (District Authority)
- West Tanfield
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 26776 78718
Reasons for Designation
Fortified manors are the residences of the lesser nobility and the richer burgesses and date from the late twelfth century and throughout the rest of the Middle Ages. Generally they comprise a hall and residential wing, domestic ranges, and fortifications such as a moat or crenellated wall or both. A gatetower was a common feature of the better equipped and the gatehouse of Tanfield Castle fortified manor, known as Marmion Tower, is an important and impressive example, being largely intact.
Marmion Tower is situated in the village of West Tanfield, next to the parish
church and on the north bank of the River Ure. The tower is the fifteenth
century gatehouse of the now demolished Tanfield Castle. The monument, at
this time, comprises the tower and the ground beneath it only, as the precise
location of the castle, which was a fortified manor house of the Marmion
family, has not yet been located.
The tower is a three storey building, roughly square in plan, with a
projection at the north-west corner containing a newel stair. The gateway is
barrel vaulted and has a guardroom to the south. The stair leads to the rooms
above and ends in a turret above the battlements of the gatehouse. The tower
is a Grade I Listed Building and has been in State care since 1927.
Excluded from the scheduling are all English Heritage fittings such as grilles
and notices and the gates leading to the Old Rectory. The ground beneath
these fittings is, however included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of North Riding of Yorkshire, (1914), 382-85
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing