Moated site 180m W of Fir Tree Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011882 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 18:53:52.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 39296 63491
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite some overploughing the monument is generally in a fairly good state of preservation and is unencumbered by modern development. The surface features on the island indicate that the site retains considerable evidence of structural foundations associated with the medieval manor house.
The monument includes a moated site exhibiting traces of an access causeway
and outer bank. The grassy island, measuring 63m x 47m, possesses surface
features that include a low mound at the S corner some 8m x 7m x 0.2m high,
and a low platform 0.1-0.3m high x 13m wide running NE-SW for some 30m.
Surrounding the island is a dry moat 15m wide x 1.5m max. depth that is
crossed by a causeway on the SE arm. An outer bank 0.3m high x 9m wide runs
along the SW side of the moat.
This monument is thought to have been the site of the manor house of Marlston,
but it is not depicted or shown as occupied on early maps, thus suggesting
All field boundaries are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Capstick, B., FMW Report, (1987)
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Pagination 164, Dodgson, PN Cheshire 4, EPNS, (1972)
RAF, CPE/UK 1935/2214-5, (1947)
RCHME (Keele), Marlston-cum-Lache (SJ36 SE5), (1988)
Record No. 1973, Moated Site 180m W of Fir Tree Farm, (1988)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing