This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Sticker Camp later Prehistoric-Roman round

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Sticker Camp later Prehistoric-Roman round

List entry Number: 1011994

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Mewan

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 10-May-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Mar-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 15012

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Rounds are small embanked enclosures with an external ditch, usually circular or oval, forming one of a range of known settlement types dating to the later Iron Age and Roman periods. They usually have a single earth and rubble bank and outer ditch, broken by one entrance gap. Excavated examples have produced dry-stone supporting walls within the bank, paved or cobbled entrance-ways and post-built gate structures. Excavated features within rounds have included foundations for timber, turf or stone-built houses, of oval or rectangular plan, often set around the inner edge of the enclosing bank. Other features include hearths, drains, gullies, pits, and rubbish middens. Evidence for industrial activities has been recovered from some sites, including small-scale metal-working, and among the domestic debris occur items traded from distant sources. Some rounds are associated with secondary enclosures, often circular or rectangular, and either butted against the round as an annexe or forming an additional enclosure up to 100m away. Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of farming hamlets, replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th century A.D.. Over 750 rounds are recorded nationally, occurring throughout the areas bordering the Irish Sea, and confined in England to Cornwall and SW Devon. They are most densely concentrated in west Cornwall and are usually sited on hill-slopes and spurs. They are particularly important as one of the major sources of information on settlement and social organisation in the Iron Age and Roman periods in south-west England. Consequently sites displaying an extensively complete plan representative of the range of known types, topographical locations and geographical spread will normally be considered as nationally important.

Sticker Camp is of particular importance in preserving an unusual double defensive system layout, complete with a clear approach-way, in an area well away from the main concentration of rounds but forming one part of a hierarchy of broadly contemporary sites known in the near vicinity.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a later Prehistoric to Roman period round, comprising an oval enclosure defined by a rampart and outer ditch, with a more distant secondary rampart and ditch. Both defensive lines are broken by broad hollow-way running to the enclosure from the west. The inner rampart at Sticker Camp survives 10m wide, 0.75m high max., enclosing an oval featureless interior 70m N-S by 42m E-W (0.25ha); the rampart is reduced at the centre of the W side, considered to mark the site of an entrance. The outer ditch, 16-19m wide and 0.3m deep max., bulges outwards at the centre of the W side, corresponding to the line of approach from the W of an E-W hollow 15-20m wide, 0.5m deep max., and visible from 30m to c.90m from the inner rampart crest on its W side; this hollow marks the entrance- route into the round. An outer rampart and ditch is also visible, though poorly preserved, following a sub-circular course slightly eccentric to the inner defences, centred a little SW of the inner enclosure's centre. The outer rampart is best preserved around the NE and SE sectors, surviving to a maximum 14m wide and 0.5m high, the distance between the inner and outer rampart crests ranging from c.35m to the NE to c.50m to the SE. The outermost ditch survives to a maximum 5m wide and 0.3m deep in its NW sector, and runs into the N side of the hollow-way 65m W of the inner rampart crest. A low irregular mound, 16m long by 0.25m high and centred c.55m SW of the inner rampart's SW curve, may be a remnant of the outer rampart in this sector.

This monument has been the subject of several descriptions by later 19th and early 20th century archaeologists who recorded the layout of the monument's earthworks and their state of preservation. The monument is sited around the almost flat summit of a low hill in the dissected terrain between the granite of the Hensbarrow Downs 3km to the N and the south Cornwall coast 5km to the SE. It stands in the former Treloweth Common, but its site had been enclosed by 1813.

All modern hedges and gates, the modern stock shed, and the overhead electricity supply line and its poles are excluded from the scheduling, but the land beneath, including hedge-banks, is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Cornwall: Volume I, (1906), 470
Other
AM 107 record relating to CO 961, Camp 600m E of Sticker,
Beagrie, N, Iron Age Multivallate Settlements of the St Austell Area, 1980, Unpubl. B.A. Disstn., Univ. Durham
Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 20660, round on Treloweth Common,
McLaughlin, J, Untitled MS, filed as RRIC, 31, P1 XI, (1847)
Mercer, R J, Original AM7 for CO 961, camp 600m E of Sticker, (1973)
No. 44; 23/1/1852, Thomas, R, Untitled letter to The West Briton Newspaper, (1852)
Thomas, R, Untitled survey sheets (deposited in RIC, Truro), (1840)
Title: 1": 1 mile Ordnance Survey Map Source Date: 1813 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: SW 98579 50327

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011994 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 09:41:24.

End of official listing