Moated site at Bickerstaffe Hall.
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011999 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:35:34.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Lancashire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 44341 03963
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Bickerstaffe Hall is unencumbered by modern development and will retain considerable archaeological evidence of the original hall which occupied the site. Additionally the waterlogged part of the moat will preserve organic material
The monument is the moated site of the original Bickerstaffe Hall. The site
lies some 70m SW of the present Bickerstaffe Hall and includes a slightly
raised trapezoidal grassy island with maximum dimensions c.68m x 68m.
Surrounding the island is a moat possessing dry N and S arms c.3m wide x 0.4m
maximum depth, a dry E arm partly overlain by the driveway to Bickerstaffe
Hall, and a substantial partly waterlogged W arm c.6m wide x 1.3m deep lying
within Little Wood. An outlet channel issues from the SW corner of the moat.
The monument remains unploughed and substantial pieces of dressed stone litter
the field to the N.
All fences and hedges are excluded from the scheduling, however, the ground
beneath them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
To Robinson, K D MPPFW, Rimmer, (tenant farmer), (1990)
West Lancs Arch Soc Rep on Moat Sites, Coney, A, Bickerstaffe, near Bickerstaffe hall, (1987)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing