Whomerley Wood moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012052 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2019 at 12:47:17.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stevenage (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 24678 23673
Reasons for Designation
Around 6000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often, or seasonally, water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings or, in some cases, which were used for horticulture. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England, and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains. Whomerley Wood moat is a very fine example of a double island site, surviving in excellent condition. The ditches are partially water- logged. The site is considered to have great potential for the preservation of archaeological and environmental deposits, both within the ditches and on the island. Small-scale excavations and a survey have confirmed the interpretation of the site, whilst historical records have identified the moat as the home of the de Homilies.
The monument includes the well-preserved remains of a medieval moat and
its associated outworks. The moat measures some 73m. across and is
roughly square in form. The surrounding ditch measures between 5 and
10m. across and is some 1.5m. deep. The ditch still retains water on the
north and west sides. An entrance causeway crosses the ditch at the
north-west corner. An inner and outer bank are visible on either side of
the ditch which are truncated in places, perhaps due to the limited
excavations of 1924 and 1953. The interior is very uneven and may once
have contained various structural features. There is a water filled
pond just inside the entrance. The narrow entrance causeway leads to a
second moated enclosure to the north-west which is also surrounded by a
5m. wide ditch and which may have been constructed to strengthen the
defences around the entrance.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
23/1/1926, Murry, M, (1926)
Bosowitz and Roberts, (1954)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing