This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 1km south west of Rockingham Castle

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 1km south west of Rockingham Castle

List entry Number: 1012146

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Corby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cottingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Jul-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 17126

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site located to the south west of Rockingham Castle survives well. Its relationship with the enlargement of the deer park in 1485 is well documented and it forms an integral part of the medieval landscape of the Rockingham estate. The moated island will preserve information relating to both the construction of the building which existed there and its subsequent conversion for use as a hunting lodge. The site also provides evidence illustrating the social context of hunting during the late medieval period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is situated within Rockingham Park, approximately 1km south west of Rockingham Castle, and includes a moated site. The moated site is situated within a former medieval deer park. There are mid-13th century references to the existence of a park at Rockingham which was located to the north east of the moated site. In 1485 the park was enlarged by Henry VII. The moated site is thought to have been constructed prior to the enlargement of the deer park in the 15th century, at which date it was incorporated within the park and subsequently used as a hunting lodge. The moated site has external dimensions of approximately 53m north east-south west and 63m north west-south east. The moat arms average 8m wide and are 1m deep. They are now mostly dry, although the western corner of the moat is seasonally waterfilled. External banks are visible beyond the north western and north eastern arms of the moat and there are slight traces of a bank parallel with the south western arm. Access onto the moated island is via a causeway across the south western moat arm. A map of the site, dated 1615, indicates that the moated island was occupied by a building at this time. It is thought to have been a hunting lodge which provided accommodation for hunting parties within the deer park; James I for example is known to have stayed at the site in the early 17th century. A building is shown as still present on an estate map of 1806, at which date the moated site was approached through an avenue of trees. The building was demolished by Lewis, the third Baron Sondes, in c.1827; although not visible on the ground surface, remains will survive as a buried feature.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England, , The County of Northamptonshire, (1975), 129
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England, , The County of Northamptonshire, (1975), 25-6
Brown, A E, Taylor, C C, 'Northamptonshire Archaeology' in The Earthworks of Rockingham and its Neighbourhood, , Vol. 9, (1974), 72-77

National Grid Reference: SP 86243 90354

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012146 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 05:07:58.

End of official listing