Blue Man's Bower moated site, Whiston
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012201 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 05:17:19.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
- Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 43850 89606
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Blue Man's Bower is an unusual example of its class in that a natural feature has been used to create an outer enclosure round the moated site itself. Although no longer wet, its moat and fishponds are sufficiently waterlogged for there to be some survival of organic and palaeoenvironmental material. In addition, despite the 1939 excavation, undisturbed deposits remain on the island and also around it, between the moat and the outer enclosure.
The main component of Blue Man's Bower moated site is a small rectangular
island, measuring c.12m x 15m, partially excavated in 1939 by C.E.Whiting.
Found at this time were a series of large stones interpreted as padstones
for a barn or similar building. The island seems too small, however, to
have been the site of a house. Surrounding the island is a 5m wide moat with
outer banks to the south-west and south-east and channels leading off at the
south and west corners. These connected with a ditch running parallel with
the south- west arm of the moat. This ditch, a dried-up stream-bed,
indicates that the stream west of the site has been diverted, and that, at
the time the moated site was built, it curved round the site as an outer
moat instead of running past it north to south. It is crossed by a causeway
mid-way between the channels coming off the moat and once connected with a
line of infill, visible to the south and now overgrown with trees.
Converging with this filled-in section is another line of infill
representing a former course of the Ulley Brook along which the parish
boundary still runs. Faint earthworks and a line of lush grass running
northwards from the confluence, indicate a string of filled-in fishponds
running north-south across the bend in the stream, thereby creating a bow-
shaped outer enclosure round the moated site. The northernmost fishpond is
still visible as a rectangular reed-filled depression measuring c.50m x 15m.
A telegraph pole and its stays, within the constraint area, are excluded
from the scheduling though the ground underneath is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Le Patourel, H E J, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire, (1973)
Whiting, C E, 'Trans. Hunter Archaeological Society' in Trans. Hunter Archaeological Society, , Vol. V, (1943)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing