Bostock Hall moated site.
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012357 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 09:52:29.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 67787 67340
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite the monument's woodland location the site survives well. Its earthworks are well preserved and the site remains a good example of a small medieval moated site. Evidence of the medieval Bostock Hall will be preserved on the island and organic material will be preserved in the waterlogged moat.
The monument is the medieval moated site of Bostock Hall. The site lies in
woodland and includes a raised rectangular island measuring c.40m x 37m.
Surrounding the island is a waterlogged moat 9.3m wide x 1.8m deep that has a
dry outlet channel 6m wide x 1.5m deep issuing from its southwestern corner.
Access to the island is by a low causeway c.5m wide on the eastern arm close
to the northeastern corner.
Bostock Hall was a medieval timber building demolished in 1803 and superseded
by a nearby farmhouse.
All field boundaries are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath
them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Lyson, , 'Magna Britannia' in Magna Britannia (Volume 2), , Vol. 2, (1810), 536
Archer, A & Wilson, D, CAB (re: Bostock Hall), CAB, (1974)
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing