Moated site east of Kellam's Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012527 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 05:06:54.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 47208 13111
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The monument at Bardon survives in good condition and is a rare example in Leicestershire of an oval moat. The raised island has high potential for the survival of archaeological remains and a buried ancient land surface.
The monument includes an oval moated site located in an isolated low-lying
position 1km east of Bardon Hill.
The moated area measures approximately 65m x 75m with no inner or outer banks. The moat island is raised between 0.5m and 1m above the surrounding land surface. The surrounding ditch is mainly dry with a little waterlogging and is an average of 12m wide and 1.5m deep. An adjoining channel on the western side runs for 12m and is 8m wide and 1.5m deep. On the south-east side are two small adjoining ditches surviving as slight indentations about 2m wide and running into a nearby field ditch.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hartley, R F, The Medieval Earthworks of North-West Leicestershire, (1984), 8/9
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing