Moated site north-east of St Remigius' Church
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012560 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 05:11:12.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Melton (District Authority)
- Clawson, Hose and Harby
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 72272 27218
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Long Clawson has historical connections with an important Leicestershire family and is believed to be the site of the manor house. The moat island is essentially well preserved and has considerable potential for the survival of original buildings within its raised interior.
The moated site at Long Clawson lies in a pasture field to the east of the
The moated area is roughly square, measuring 70m x 70m overall, and comprises
the southern, eastern, and part of the western arms of the moat. The southern
ditch is up to 1.5m deep, but the western arm is largely modified by the
churchyard and this part of it is not included in the scheduling. To the
north, the survival of the moat is unclear due to a some infilling. The
centre of the island appears to be raised.
There are documentary references, from 1304 to the Bozon family. An 18th-
century writer records that they had a `castle' just by the church.
The north-western corner of the moated area contains the ruined remains of a
cottage probably dating to the 17th century, with the remaining part of the
enclosure used as a chicken run. The remains of the cottage are excluded from
the scheduling, as is a concrete construction of unknown use in the southern
arm of the moat but the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Nichols, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicestershire 2/1, (1795), 134
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing