Old Hall moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012566.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:40:28.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Harborough (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 70861 87037
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
This moat at Lubenham is one of two in the village and is an above average example of a Leicestershire moat. It is considered that the moat island will retain evidence of the development of the manor and associated buildings.
The moated site at Lubenham lies on the north bank of the River Welland, to
the east of the village, 2km west of Market Harborough.
The square moat comprises three arms with the fourth believed to be infilled
on the western side. With the exception of the northern half of the eastern
arm, most of the moat is water-filled and is 12-15m wide and 1-1.5m deep.
There is an outer bank on the eastern and northern sides 0.5m high, and an
inner bank on the northern side 1m high. At the south-western end the moat
opens out into a pond which encloses a small island 25m long. A bank 0.5m
high runs at right angles from the eastern arm about 35m onto the moat island
from a point 40m south of the north-eastern corner. Traces of ridge and furrow
ploughing are visible on the south side of the island.
Documentary evidence suggest the manor house was chiefly of stone and was
largely demolished in the late 18th century. The present Old Hall dates from
the 18th century incorporating part of the west wall of the earlier building.
Excluded from the scheduling are The Old Hall which is a Grade II listed
building, Old Hall Farmhouse, the surface of Old Hall Lane and part of a farm
building on the south-west side of the moat island but the ground beneath all
these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Nichols, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicestershire 2/2, (1798), 699,701
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing