Bell barrow 200m east of Slap Bottom
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1012912
Date first listed: 27-Oct-1970
Date of most recent amendment: 19-Dec-1990
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012912 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 11:25:51.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: New Forest (District Authority)
National Park: NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference: SU 20672 01978
Reasons for Designation
Bell barrows, the most visually impressive form of round barrow, are funerary
monuments dating to the Early and Middle Bronze Age, with most examples
belonging to the period 1500-1100 BC. They occur either in isolation or in
round barrow cemeteries and were constructed as single or multiple mounds
covering burials, often in pits, and surrounded by an enclosure ditch. The
burials are frequently accompanied by weapons, personal ornaments and pottery
and appear to be those of aristocratic individuals, usually men. Bell barrows
(particularly multiple barrows) are rare nationally, with less than 250 known
examples, most of which are in Wessex. Their richness in terms of grave goods
provides evidence for chronological and cultural links amongst early
prehistoric communities over most of southern and eastern England as well as
providing an insight into their beliefs and social organisation. As a
particularly rare form of round barrow, all identified bell barrows would
normally be considered to be of national importance.
Despite partial excavation of the barrow mound, much of the monument remains intact. The site therefore has considerable archaeological potential.
The monument includes a bell barrow set on a gentle south-facing slope
in an area of open New Forest heathland. The barrow mound has a
maximum diameter of 19m and stands to a height of c.1m. Surrounding
the barrow mound are a berm c.2m wide and an outer ditch 2m wide and
A central hollow suggests that the monument may once have been
partially excavated, probably in the 19th century.
The mound, berm and ditch together have a diameter of 27m.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 12125
Legacy System: RSM
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing