Long barrow 250m north-east of Upper Cranbourne Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013005 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2019 at 12:18:54.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Winchester (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 48961 42489
Reasons for Designation
Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone mounds with flanking
ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early and Middle Neolithic
periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places of Britain's early
farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest field monuments
surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where investigated, long barrows
appear to have been used for communal burial, often with only parts of the
human remains having been selected for interment. Certain sites provide
evidence for several phases of funerary monument preceding the barrow and,
consequently, it is probable that long barrows acted as important ritual sites
for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some 500 long
barrows are recorded in England. As one of the few types of Neolithic
structure to survive as earthworks, and due to their comparative rarity, their
considerable age and their longevity as a monument type, all long barrows are
considered to be nationally important.
The 180 long barrows of Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset form the densest and one of the most important concentrations of monuments of this type in the country.
The monument includes a long barrow set along the east end of a low ridge and
on the edge of an arable field close to the east-bound carriageway of the
A303. The barrow mound is orientated SE-NW and is rectangular in plan with
maximum dimensions of 63m long by 20m wide. It survives to a height of
c.0.5m. Running parallel to the north and south sides of the mound are quarry
ditches 7m wide, separated from the mound by berms 7m wide. Neither are
visible as earthworks but do survive as below-ground features.
A record of the barrow on Isaac Taylor's map of Hampshire (1759) suggests that
the monument was more conspicuous then than it is today.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Smith, I F , Long Barrows in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1979)
Title: Map of Hampshire Source Date: 1759 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing