This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval moated site west of Vachery Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval moated site west of Vachery Farm

List entry Number: 1013038

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cranleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 18-Jul-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 12760

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often, or seasonally, water-filled, which partly or completely enclose one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or ecclesiastical buildings or which, in Some cases, were used for horticulture. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. Moated sites were built throughout the Medieval period, however, are widely scattered across England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their form and sizes. They form a significant class of Medieval monument and play an important part in the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of normally-perishable organic remains. The example near Vachery Farm is amongst the best surviving moated sites in Surrey, having remained essentially undisturbed since the decline of the manor house on this site. It consequently has high potential for the recovery of archaeological evidence of the organisation and development of the manor through the Middle Ages.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument west of Vachery Farm comprises a nearly-square broad ditch with a causeway which leads onto a central island. The remains are those of a moated site, a class of monument which is generally seen as the prestigious residence of the Lord of the manor. The moat marked the high status of the occupier but also served to deter casual raiders and wild animals. Most moated sites were constructed in the years to either side of 1300AD, and Vachery Manor House is known from historical records to have existed in 1296. A scatter of medieval roofing tile in the interior bears witness to the former existence of a grand house on the site. The moat is broad (up to 16m across), has been almost completely filled by silt and decomposing vegetation and remains water-logged or water-filled throughout the year. It is fed by a stream from the south-east and drains along an artificial water course, probably of later date than the moat, on the western side. Access to the interior is gained, somewhat unusually, by a causeway near the south-east corner of the monument -- bridge or causeway entrances are more often found at the mid-point of one arm of the moat. The interior is bordered by a slight bank on the inner edge of the moat, which was probably originally surmounted by a palisade fence. The main part of the moat island is wooded and the only feature of particular note is a small brick-built emplacement of unclear purpose on the western side. This more recent structure is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath remains included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
Surrey Antiquity 685,

National Grid Reference: TQ 06812 36758

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 03:12:38.

End of official listing