Bowl barrow 200m east of Oxhanger Wood
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1013046
Date first listed: 10-Apr-1957
Date of most recent amendment: 07-Mar-1991
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013046 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 21:42:16.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 28708 55107
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
There is no evidence for formal excavation of the Oxhanger Wood monument and the site has considerable archaeological potential. The importance of the monument is enhanced by the recovery of what is believed to be evidence for contemporary settlement in surrounding fields.
The monument includes a bowl barrow set on a prominent hill-top with
extensive views in all directions except to the north. The barrow
mound is 2m high and has a diameter of 25m. A ditch, from which the
mound material was quarried, surrounds the barrow mound. This has
filled in over the years and is no longer visible at ground level. It
does, however, survive as a buried feature c.3m wide.
Finds of burnt flint recorded in surrounding fields suggest occupation
remains, broadly contemporary with the barrow, in the immediate area.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 12178
Legacy System: RSM
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing