King Hengist Rein long cairn

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1013204

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1991

Map

Ordnance survey map of King Hengist Rein long cairn
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013204 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 15:21:32.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Sprotbrough and Cusworth

National Grid Reference: SE 52702 02132

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone mounds with flanking ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early and Middle Neolithic periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places of Britain's early farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest field monuments surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where investigated, long barrows appear to have been used for communal burial, often with only parts of the human remains having been selected for interment. Certain sites provide evidence for several phases of funerary monument preceding the barrow and, consequently, it is probable that long barrows acted as important ritual sites for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some 500 long barrows are recorded in England. As one of the few types of Neolithic structure to survive as earthworks, and due to their comparative rarity, their considerable age and their longevity as a monument type, all long barrows are considered to be nationally important.

The King Hengist Rein example is one of only a very small sample surviving in South Yorkshire and thus is extremely rare. Although partially disturbed by quarrying at its western end, most of the monument survives and contains substantial in situ deposits. It is therefore of considerable archaeological potential.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is a long cairn measuring c.40m x c.15m and orientated north- west to south-east. It is parallel-sided and varies between 1.5m and 2m in height. Construction ditches round the monument are buried under accumulated soil and debris. A Neolithic date for the monument is indicated by its shape and its low-lying situation, and is further corroborated by partial excavation carried out by W. C. Lukis in c.1864, when it was revealed that the cairn contained at least two stone burial chambers. A bronze sword also found during excavation indicates the reuse of the cairn in the Bronze Age. The monument is one of several long barrows known to have existed in the Sprotbrough-High Melton area. A telegraph pole and its stays embedded in the monument are excluded from the scheduling, as is a cess-pit within the ditch on the south-east side. However, the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 13238

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Allport, C H, History of Conisbrough, (1913)
Lukis, W C, 'Journal of the British Archaeo Association' in Journal of the British Archaeological Association, (1864), 233
Manby, T G, 'Scottish Archaeological Forum' in Long Barrows in Northern England, (1970)

End of official listing